Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Test

The Test

I sit down with my PP that I just printed, still warm in my hand and grab my favorite pen and a highlighter. The big test is tomorrow. 10 questions, all multiple choice. The teacher isn’t my favorite though. Some of the questions have up to 16 different choices! Who does that? Mrs. Saratoga does on a daily basis. Not only does she give tests that are hard as hell, she gives them almost every day! Some would call her the worst teacher ever, but me, I am in love. Mrs. Saratoga isn’t the only one to give out the difficult tests. Many teachers around the country give out these tests as well, though sometimes only 3-4 days a week. At least they all give you a study guide a couple days before and tell you EXACTLY what’s on the test. Alright back to studying.
I love numbers. You almost have to be in this game. Mrs. Saratoga, Mrs. Belmont, and Mr. Canterbury all teach Math. They expect a lot out of you but if you can get their test questions right; you are as good as gold. Alright let’s look at question 1.
A word problem of course, they almost always are. 1 Mile. 3 year olds. ALW 65000, Turf. I read the problem over and over to get a good understanding of what the questions is asking. Now I look at the choices.

·      Choice 1 & 2 don’t look like they could be the right answer. They seem kind of crazy to even consider. Why would Mrs. Saratoga even ask a question like that on the test tomorrow? I guess we will see if she does.
·      Choice 3 looks like it could be the right answer. Seems to fit the criteria of what the question is asking. I put a star next to choice 3 and move on. 7 choices on this particular question, let’s move along.
·      Choice 4 is enticing. I still think I like 3 better but 4 is my favorite number… That has to count for something, right? 4 always was a favorite last time and did not do very well for me. I got a question wrong last time when four was involved. I think I will pass.
·      Choice 5 should almost be written in different ink. Why is this choice even near this question Mrs. Saratoga, come on, you can do better than that. I take a big X and write it across this choice.
·      Choice 6 looks mighty nice. There are some nice connections that would make it perfect for the right answer to this question, maybe even better than number 3. Another star next to 6. Onto the last choice.
·      Choice 7 looks like it was in a question not too long ago. I remember seeing this choice but now it is in different company. I think it was mentioned in the last chapter and now it is back in another class. A higher class. I don’t think this choice is part of this question. I’ll pass.

So we are down to 3 & 6. Which one is it going to be? I could pick 3, but damn am I going to be mad if 6 is the right answer. I could pick 6 as my top choice and 3 as my 2nd choice? We are allowed to do that in Mrs. Saratoga’s class. I would feel really good if they were both the right choices and the two best answers. I decide to look over the question one more time and take number 6. When question 1 comes up tomorrow I am picking 6 and moving onto question 2 before I doubt myself.

            I walk into class the next day and Mrs. Saratoga greets me with a smile as she always does. She is a little older, but I still love her. I take out my pen and get ready for the test to begin. 2 Minutes until the test begins, she yells out. I am getting nervous, am I sure that number 3 isn’t the best choice? Should I change my mind, should I stick with my gut? Should I just guess? No No No, you have done your homework and studied for this test, you got this! The test is about to be released; I take one last breath and exhale.


And…They’re off!



As you have just read, I take each horse race as a test. The PP that we receive from DRF or other sites are the study guides, and the horses are the choices to the multiple-choice test. You can look at hundreds of different things before you analyze a race and some might lead you to the right answer, while others will leave you out in the cold. Maybe I am the only one who thinks of a day at the races this way because I am about to go into my first year of teaching but I think there are tons of similarities between a test you take in school and a horse race. Let me know what you think about this post. I am new to the sport of horse racing and would love to hear what all of you think.

Have a good day,


Jared


If you like my writing and would like to see a couple other things I have written, visit my other blog HERE and follow me on Twitter @Jared_Hines27 

No comments:

Post a Comment